History of Southport
The Southport Inn is a historic landmark of Southport, North Carolina and was originally constructed by Samuel S. Drew for Robert W. McKeithan and his wife, Amelia, in the spring of 1894. R. W. McKeithan, born January 20, 1843 was an enlisted Confederate in the NC 1st Artillery Regiment, Co. E. Later in 1896, he was selected as a delegate to the State's Democratic Convention. During the turn of the century, R.W. McKeithan manufactured turpentine in nearby Supply. He died June 8, 1931. There is a passion to preserve the sacred and bring history to the present. The true beauty and heritage of this historic Southport, North Carolina home has been lovingly updated with respect to its architectural integrity and historical significance.